Readers and followers, I apologize that my posts are coming with so much time in between them. The winter holiday season here in the USA has made things both more fun and less according to schedule. I have wanted to get this post out for more than a week now but simply couldn’t. I truly appreciate the readership that I get and I thank you very much for that.
In my Backlog – First Rough Draft post I discussed various techniques. I will be referring back to that post several times so you may wish to open that post linked above to refer back and forth between the posts. At the end of the first rough draft I mentioned some things that I would fix. Let’s see how that went.
I centered the badge using the technique I showed in the first draft post. i measured the distance from the center to the edge of the first circle, known as the radius. I grabbed my drafting compass and used a rule to set the span of the compass to that measurement. I drew that in using a graphite tip. I then drew in the second circle using the same process and tools. I placed the badge and the rough draft onto a light board and centered the badge under the circles and then traced in the rapiers. And yes, on the left point of the rapier, I traced poorly. Thankfully this is a draft and I did not have to fix it. However, I suggest that it is good to practice to fixing mistakes on drafts so that you get better at those techniques.
Once this was accomplished I put the rough draft back onto my slanted scribal table and using a quill I traced the graphite lines using gold and silver inks. I made the badge one half inch (1.27 cm) smaller in this draft. That meant shaving off one quarter of an inch (0.635 cm) from all sides of the badge. The idea was to accomplish two things. 1 – Break up the rubrication of the oath from the red in the badge and 2 – Be able to fill in the badge completely with text. The oath takes 4 lines to write.
The rubrication is being done in a period recipe Brazilwood red ink. I used a quill pen.
I went from the two lines you saw to this at the Royal University of the Midrealm Event at my display of a scribe working. I sat down and worked on this at the event and talked with people and answered their questions. Obviously you don’t get a lot of work done that way but that wasn’t why I was there. I was there to chat with people and teach them informally and that happened, so I accomplished what I set out to do.
I contacted the recipient about the two read areas blending together. The recipient’s suggestion was to simply move the award text down one line to separate out the red areas. That is certainly a viable solution to both issues I like the idea, so I will be doing a third draft oft he award.
What else did I do differently?
This time I did not use the AMES lettering guide with a t-square. I traced out the text block from the master I mentioned making in the first draft post. Then with a divider (a drafting compass with two points instead of a point and graphite) I measured out 3 mm on a ruler. Keep the points at that distance I “walked” the divider down the left side of the text block poking holes every 3 mm. I then drew in the lines you see using a t-square and a graphite 4H Pencil. The method of poking holes using a divider is a very period technique and you will see many manuscripts with lining holes pricked into them. Ink or a lead/tin stylus would likely have been used to draw the lines in.
In this draft I did change the color of ink I was using to write. I changed the ink color from normal black to the correct colors of the badge. Sometimes this meant stopping midstroke of a letter and changing ink colors.
As you can see the second draft stops before it is completed. I have learned what I can from this the second draft and so it is okay to leave it unfinished. I will be working on the third draft soon enough and hope to post about that draft before the year is over.